Lately I’ve noticed that I’m craving Pho all the time. It’s so delicious and healthy, it’s no wonder that I wish I could eat it every day. This isn’t a true Pho, but it comes together ridiculously quickly and certainly satisfies that craving.
The veggies in this soup are totally based on preference. I admit, the addition of broccoli and cauliflower might seem a little weird. I like including them because they’re big and crunchy and help make this soup really filling for me. That being said, they might not be your thing. Feel free to leave them out and substitute them with what you think would taste good. I think this soup would taste phenomenal with sliced shiitake mushrooms, bean sprouts, and basil.
Pro tip: Do not eat the jalapeno slices! That would be way too spicy. Eat around them. They impart a lovely spice to the soup.
Have you tried this recipe? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!
Easy Rice Noodle Soup (Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free, Flour Free):
- 8 ounces rice noodles 1/2 of a 16 ounce package
- 16 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Better Than Bouillon
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce if not gluten free
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 9 mini sweet peppers* seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 block extra firm tofu pressed and cut into 3/4” cubes, 16 ounces or 454 grams
- 4 cups mixture of broccoli and cauliflower florets 12 ounces or 340 grams
- 1 jalapeno sliced into circles, optional
- Scallions as topping
- Cilantro as topping
- Lime wedges as topping
- Black sesame seeds as topping
- In a large pot, bring the water, bouillon, tamari, salt, and garlic to a boil.
- Add in the sweet peppers, onion, and tofu. Bring back to a boil, boil uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, add the broccoli and cauliflower in and stir (this will leave the broccoli and cauliflower lightly cooked but still crispy - if you’d prefer them softer, boil for a minute or two).
- In a separate medium pot, bring water to a boil. Add in the rice noodles and boil according to package instructions (mine called for 4-5 minutes and 4 minutes was perfect).
- Drain and rinse the rice noodles.
- Add a small handful of rice noodles to a bowl and top with the vegetable soup.
- Top with jalapeno slices, scallions, lime, and sesame seeds. Add in the jalapeno slices based on spice preference (you don’t eat them, they just impart a lovely spice to the soup).
- If the soup isn’t salty enough for you, add another splash of tamari or soy sauce.
* Can substitute with 2 bell peppers.