As soon as Autumn rolls around I find myself in the kitchen so much more. I love experimenting with all the different yummy warming foods I have in the pantry. Who else does this happen to? My newest obsession is polenta. It’s super versatile and incredibly delicious. Normally I make it and then let it set in the fridge before cutting it into pieces and sautéeing them. This time, I decided to serve it topped with marinara sauce, sautéed mushrooms, sautéed onions, and fresh parsley. It was a totally different flavor experience and it was so lovely, warming, and light (not to mention how much more quickly it came together).
Polenta with Mushrooms and Marinara (Vegan, Gluten Free, Flour Free):
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 1 package mushrooms 8 ounces or 227 grams, sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt divided
- 3 medium cloves garlic diced
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- Parsley sliced, for topping
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a skillet.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 4-6 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
- Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
- Remove sautéed mushroom, onion, and garlic from the heat.
- Heat the marinara sauce in a pan on low-medium heat.
- Cook polenta according to package instructions. Mine called for 4 cups of water, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1 cup of polenta. Add the polenta to the boiling water a little at a time while stirring to prevent clumps.
- Serve polenta, topping with warm marinara sauce, sautéed mushrooms, onions, and garlic, and sliced fresh parsley.