Ramen, oh how I absolutely adore ramen! I grew up enjoying prepackaged ramen noodles. I was only allowed to have it occasionally, and I always looked forward to being able to have it. Ramen restaurants definitely opened my eyes and made me realize how amazing real ramen could be. I so badly wanted to have a vegan version of ramen, and I believe this recipe does the trick. It comes together surprisingly fast considering that it’s ramen, which normally takes a lot of cooking time. Pro tip: wear a shirt you’re not too fond of (or an apron), the joyous slurping made a lovely little mess of our shirts.
If you’re looking for a salad to have this with, I’d definitely recommend pairing this with my Asian Cabbage Salad! The flavors go so well together.
Have you tried this recipe? Please let me know what you thought in the comments below!
Ridiculously Fast and Delicious Ramen (Vegan):
- 1/2 25 ounce or 720 gram package ramen noodles
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 14 ounce or 397 gram package extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped,
- 1 lotus root peeled and sliced (optional, place slices immediately into a bowl of water with a little vinegar to stop from browning)
- 1/2 8 ounce or 227 gram package mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 thumb fresh ginger finely diced (about 1 Tablespoon diced)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili sauce
- 2 Tablespoons vegan oyster sauce*
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy quartered lengthwise
- 2 green onions sliced (for topping)
- Roasted black sesame seeds for topping
- Enoki mushrooms for topping optional
Cook the ramen noodles according to package instructions.
Drain and set aside. Keep separate from the soup until just before serving.
Heat a large non-stick pot over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium.
Add 1 Tablespoon of oil and sauté cubed tofu.
Set sautéed tofu aside on a paper towel covered plate.
Add 1 Tablespoon of oil to the pot. Add onions and sliced lotus root (if using) to pot and sauté for 5 minutes until starting to soften.
Add the mushroom and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add garlic and ginger and stir until just fragrant – no more than 30 seconds.
Add chili sauce, vegan oyster sauce (if using), low sodium soy sauce, rice vinegar, vegetable broth, water, and baby bok choy.
Stir to combine.
Bring to a simmer, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Place a serving of noodles in a bowl and then pour the soup over them.
Top with green onions, sesame seeds, and enoki mushrooms.
*Vegan oyster sauce is sold in Asian grocery stores, omit if you can’t find it.
**If you find the soup too salty, add 1-2 cups of water.
***For leftovers, be sure to store the noodles and the soup separately.