Ramen, oh how I absolutely adore ramen! I grew up enjoying prepackaged ramen noodles. I was only allowed to have it occasionally, and I always looked forward to being able to have it. Ramen restaurants definitely opened my eyes and made me realize how amazing real ramen could be. I so badly wanted to have a vegan version of ramen, and I believe this recipe does the trick. It comes together surprisingly fast considering that it’s ramen, which normally takes a lot of cooking time. Pro tip: wear a shirt you’re not too fond of (or an apron), the joyous slurping made a lovely little mess of our shirts.
Ridiculously Fast and Delicious Ramen (Vegan):
- 1/2 25 ounce or 720 gram package ramen noodles
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 14 ounce or 397 gram package extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped,
- 1 lotus root peeled and sliced (optional, place slices immediately into a bowl of water with a little vinegar to stop from browning)
- 1/2 8 ounce or 227 gram package mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 thumb fresh ginger finely diced (about 1 Tablespoon diced)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili sauce
- 2 Tablespoons vegan oyster sauce*
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy quartered lengthwise
- 2 green onions sliced (for topping)
- Roasted black sesame seeds for topping
- Enoki mushrooms for topping optional
- Cook the ramen noodles according to package instructions.
- Drain and set aside. Keep separate from the soup until just before serving.
- Heat a large non-stick pot over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of oil and sauté cubed tofu.
- Set sautéed tofu aside on a paper towel covered plate.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of oil to the pot. Add onions and sliced lotus root (if using) to pot and sauté for 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the mushroom and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and stir until just fragrant – no more than 30 seconds.
- Add chili sauce, vegan oyster sauce (if using), low sodium soy sauce, rice vinegar, vegetable broth, water, and baby bok choy.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place a serving of noodles in a bowl and then pour the soup over them.
- Top with green onions, sesame seeds, and enoki mushrooms.
*Vegan oyster sauce is sold in Asian grocery stores, omit if you can’t find it.
**If you find the soup too salty, add 1-2 cups of water.
***For leftovers, be sure to store the noodles and the soup separately.