Shredding tofu is kind of my new obsession. I’ve tried it to make vegan taco filling, and it was phenomenal. It got me thinking that I could make it other ways, too. Since it kind of looks like hash browns, I thought that it might turn out well if I cooked it the same way as I would hash browns. I was right on that one. It turns out so crispy, flavorful, and absolutely delicious. If your tofu isn’t firm enough to grate, then just crumble it. The flavors in this dish are so delicious that it will still taste phenomenal.
Shredded Curry Tofu with Spinach (Vegan, Gluten Free, Flour Free):
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil divided
- 1 medium onion sliced into thin 1/2 moon strips
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt divided
- 1 16 ounce block of super firm pre-pressed tofu (454 grams)
- 1 8 ounce bag spinach (227 grams)
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Roasted black sesame seeds for topping
- Scallion diced (for topping)
- Avocado halved, pitted, scooped, and sliced (for topping)
- Press the tofu between paper towels to remove excess moisture. If it is labeled as a super firm pre-pressed block of tofu, grate it using a cheese grater. If it is labeled a very firm block of tofu, crumble it using your fingers to quarter sized pieces (it will break down to about half that size during cooking).
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in medium sized skillet on medium heat.
- Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add additional 1/2 teaspoon oil.
- Add tofu, additional 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, and curry powder. Stir.
- Cook like you would shredded hash browns, allowing to brown and crisp before flipping. Roughly 5 minutes on each side.
- Fold in spinach 1/3 of a bag at a time, allowing spinach to cook down before adding more. Fold in rather than stir in to prevent tofu from breaking down too much.
- Serve 1/4 of the tofu and spinach curry on top of 1 cup of rice.