Spicy Sweet Potato Lentil Slow Cooker Soup (Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free, Flour Free):
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½” cubes, about 6 cups
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1" piece ginger peeled and minced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into ⅛” thick half moons, about 1 ⅓ cups
- ½ cup frozen pineapple chunks*
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon Herbes de Provence optional
- Fine sea salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Better Than Bouillon
- 1-2 Tablespoons Red Chili Paste** depending on flavor preference
- 1/2 can full fat coconut milk 13.5 ounce or 398 ml can
- 6 cups water
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot.
- Cook on low for 7 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. I strongly recommend cooking this recipe on low. Cooking this on low stops the red lentils from turning to mush and gives them a nice texture in the soup.
- After it’s finished cooking, use an immersion blender to blend the soup about halfway (so that there are still some chunks of sweet potato). If you don’t have an immersion blender, blend half of the soup in an upright blender 1 cup at a time. Be sure to do this in small batches so that the steam has room to expand and escape.
*The frozen pineapple adds a nice natural sweetness to balance out the spice of the chili paste. You won’t be able to taste the pineapple flavor once it’s cooked. If you don’t have pineapple, you can replace this with 1-2 teaspoons granulated sugar or sweetener of choice.
**I used Huy Fong Foods brand Red Chili Paste (the same brand that makes Sriracha).