Blacks beans, corn, and quinoa combine to make the most awesome Tex-Mex salad. This quinoa salad is absolutely perfect served with potatoes in the winter or on top of lettuce in the summer. I love topping it with slices of avocado and a creamy vegan sauce! Those additions bring it to the next level and make it absolutely divine.
Quinoa, Black Bean, and Corn Tex-Mex Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free, Flour Free):
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable Better Than Bouillon
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels frozen
- Cilantro for topping – optional
- Avocado halved, pitted, scooped, and sliced (optional – for topping)
- Heat oil on medium heat in a medium sized skillet that has a tight fitting lid (you’ll use the lid later).
- Add and sauté the onion for 8 min (until translucent and golden brown).
- While the onion is sautéing, rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer until the rinsing water runs clear. This helps remove any bitter flavor. Set aside.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 more minute (until fragrant and beginning to brown).
- Mix quinoa into the garlic and onion mixture. Cover with water, chipotle powder, paprika, fine sea salt, and bouillon. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes (or until the quinoa is tender and the broth is absorbed). Try not to check on it until it’s nearing the end of the cooking time – releasing the steam when you check on it will halt the cooking process.
- Stir in frozen corn kernels and stir. Simmer until the corn is heated through (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the black beans and serve.
- Top with cilantro and avocado slices.