This gluten-free breaded tofu is literally one of my favorite foods. Incredibly delicious and slightly addictive, I absolutely can’t get enough of this when I make it. It’s a huge hit at our house and even picky non-veg friends and family love this recipe! I most love serving this on a sandwich with tomato, cucumber, pickle, red onion, spicy microgreens, vegan mayonnaise, and Dijon mustard.
Breaded Tofu “Chicken” (Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free):
- 1/2 14 ounce or 397 gram block of firm tofu
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup dry gluten free breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Press your tofu between two paper towels to remove the extra water.
- Slice your tofu into rectangles about 1/3” thick.
- Get 3 bowls.
- In the first bowl add the flour. In the second bowl add the water and Dijon mustard and whisk together. In the third bowl add the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Coat each piece of tofu in the flour, then dip it in the water and Dijon mixture, and then coat all sides evenly in the bread crumb mixture. Lightly press the breadcrumbs into place so that it has a substantial and even coating.
- Place the breaded pieces of tofu on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Optional - spray lightly with olive oil to help get the breading extra crispy.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for another 8-10 minutes until golden and crispy.
*This recipe doubles beautifully.