My inspiration for this recipe was a hearty “meaty” red pasta sauce, but without the tomato. My husband loves tomato sauce, but I’ve always been more of a creamy sauce person. I love tomatoes in a salad or on a sandwich, and sometimes I love tomato sauce on pasta or on a pizza, but not all the time.
This recipe isn’t creamy, but it’s absolutely delicious, savory, hearty, and filling. It’s perfect to top rice or pasta. If you’ve ever wondered how to make the perfect fluffy stovetop rice, check out my How to Make Perfect Fluffy Rice recipe!
Have you tried this recipe? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!
Walnut and Lentil “Meaty” Sauce (Vegan, Gluten Free, Flour Free):
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 medium stalks celery chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Better Than Bouillon
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- In a medium non-stick lidded pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the salt, celery, carrots, and Herbes de Provence (or Italian seasoning) and stir.
- Cook until the celery and carrots are starting to brown and soften, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the lentils, water, and bouillon.
Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
Add in the walnuts and stir. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve over rice or pasta.