The Best 5 Minute Homemade Hot Chocolate (Vegan):
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk*
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoon vegan dark chocolate chips**
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar up to 4 Tablespoons if you like it sweeter
- Vegan Mini Marshmallows optional - for topping
- Vegan Whipped Cream optional - for topping
Heat almond milk in a pot on the stove over medium heat.
Once it’s very warm, add in the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Don’t let it come to a boil, it will cause the almond milk to separate.
Keep a close eye on it and continue stirring for a minute or two until the chocolate is fully melted and the sugar is fully dissolved.
Taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
Once the chocolate is melted, the sugar is dissolved, and it’s at your preferred temperature, it’s ready!
Serve with vegan mini marshmallows, coconut whipped cream, or a candy cane as a special treat.
*This recipe would work well with soy milk and cashew milk, too. If you’re using oat milk, it’s not guaranteed that it will work. Typically, store bought oat milk would be a safer bet to try with a hot drink than homemade oat milk would be. This is because oat milk thickens when it’s heated (much like flax and chia thicken when they sit with water). Depending on the oat to water ratio in the oat milk, it can cause a substantial texture change when it’s heated.
**I used the Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels.