Blueberry Waffles (Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free):
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup certified gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- Mix together apple cider vinegar and plant milk to create vegan buttermilk. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Mix together applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Add to the vegan buttermilk and mix.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix (because we're using gluten free flour you want to be sure not to over mix).
- Mix in the blueberries.
- Let mixture sit for 10 minutes. This is to let the oat flour absorb some of the liquid.
- Once the waffle maker is heated, spray lightly with oil.*
- Add batter to the waffle maker leaving roughly 1/4" of room from the edge.
- Once the waffle is finished cooking, gently coax it out the waffle maker.
- Waffles can be kept warm in an oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit while the remaining waffles are cooking.
*The spray of oil is optional, though it does help to prevent the waffles from sticking. If you choose not to lightly spray oil, coax the waffles very gently out of the waffle maker when you’ve finished cooking.