Sometimes my eyes are way bigger than my stomach and I end up cooking waaaay more rice than my husband and I could possibly eat in one sitting. I decided to make some recipes around that conundrum so that I was actually kind of excited when it happened. This is the perfect recipe to use up leftover rice. If you don’t have the habit of accidentally making too much rice, no worries. This recipe works just as well with fresh rice, too. It’s so easy. All you have to do is layer a little broccoli and rice in a dish and pour over a super easy creamy blender sauce and then bake it. It’s so delicious, warming, and filling.
Easy Cheesy Dump and Bake Broccoli and Rice Casserole (Vegan, Gluten Free, Flour Free):
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 medium heads broccoli roughly chopped (about 4 cups)
- Oil to grease pan I used coconut oil
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Better Than Bouillon
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place all ingredients for the creamy sauce in a blender and blend until completely smooth. It will be very liquid at this point, but the corn starch and the nutritional yeast will help it set when it cooks.
- Grease a medium sized pan (I used a vintage size 6 cast iron skillet, a 9” square pan would also work well).
- Place 1/2 of the broccoli on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the rice over the broccoli.
- Place the second 1/2 of the broccoli on top of rice, pressing the pieces into the rice.
- Pour the sauce over the rice and broccoli.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the top is turning a light golden brown.