Pizza. Need I say more? I obviously need a good, scratch that, great recipe for mozzarella “cheese” in my life because I love pizza. Granted, this spreadable cheese is great other places, too. I love dipping tortilla chips in it and I love it on a sandwich or veggie burger. But, mostly, I love it on pizza. It’s a spreadable cheese, so you won’t be able to grate it, but it’s so delicious. I love serving it margherita style with dollops of cheese on the pizza. It turns out absolutely beautifully that way.
Mozzarella Style Spreadable Cashew Cheese (Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free, Flour Free):
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch*
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt plus more for the boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Start by boiling a small to medium pot of salted water.
- Boil the raw cashews for 10 minutes.
- Once the cashews have finished boiling, drain them.
- Blend boiled cashews, white miso paste, water, tapioca starch, salt, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, and garlic granules in your blender until completely smooth. This will work in any blender or food processor, but if you're not using a high speed blender be sure to blend for a few minutes to completely break up the cashew pieces.
- Heat the cheese liquid in a pan on medium heat, stirring constantly. The cheese is very liquid at this stage, but with some heat and a few minutes of stirring it will turn into the perfect melty cheese.
- Once the cheese becomes totally stretchy and delicious looking, you're finished and ready to serve!
*It's important to use tapioca starch - it's what gives the cheese that stretchy texture we're looking for. Other starches will create something similar, but it won't be nearly as close to the texture of real melted cheese as it would be with tapioca starch.