Decorating sugar cookies is such a fun holiday (or anytime) treat! I love these cookies because they’re soft, chewy, and make cut out cookies beautifully with no chilling required. Normally I bake using flax eggs, but this is the kind of cookie where I didn’t want the brown specks showing up throughout the cookie. I replaced it with cornstarch (or arrowroot powder), and it turned out beautifully. It’s such a fantastic binder and holds together well in this recipe.
Have you tried this recipe? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!
Perfect No Chill Soft Sugar Cookies for Cut Outs (Vegan, Gluten Free):
- 1/2 cup vegan butter* room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon hot water
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free flour mix**
- 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons almond milk divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or reusable silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, using either a stand mixer or a handheld electric mixer, beat together your butter, sugar, and light brown sugar until well blended.
- Combine your baking soda and a Tablespoon of hot water in a small bowl or cup. Stir until the baking soda is dissolved.
- To your butter and sugar mixture, add in your baking soda and water mixture, pure vanilla extract, and almond extract. Continue to mix until well blended.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your gluten free flour blend, baking powder, cornstarch (or arrowroot powder), and fine sea salt until well blended.
- Gradually mix in your flour mixture a little at a time until just mixed.
- Add in almond milk 1 Tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together and forms a silky smooth dough.
- Place one of your balls of dough on a lightly floured surface, using additional flour as needed to avoid sticking.
- Lightly flour the top of your dough.
- Roll out to ¼” thick between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Cut out cookies using your favorite festive cookie cutters.
- Carefully place your cookies spaced 1” apart on the lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness of cookies).
- Let cookies cool on baking sheets for 20 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Allow cookies to completely cool before decorating them with your favorite icing designs!
*I used Earth Balance vegan butter sticks. This is my favorite vegan butter replacement and I prefer the sticks for baking and cooking because they have a lower water content than the tub does. The tub has more water in it to make it more spreadable, which makes it not as ideal for baking and sauteing.
**I used Pamela’s gluten free flour blend. I haven’t tried other blends and can’t vouch for how well they would turn out. Pamela’s has a delicate flavor profile and is my favorite mixture for this type of baking.
***If you don’t want to use a store bought blend, the homemade mixture I would use is: 1 cup white rice flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, 1/4 cup tapioca starch, and 2 Tablespoons psyllium husk.