I don’t need Swiss “cheese” all that often, but when I do, I really need it. Like when I want an epic vegan reuben. That’s a time when I really really need a good Swiss “cheese.” This spreadable cashew cheese is perfect for all the moments when I need to make something with the Swiss “cheese” tangy flavor profile. It’s so delicious and I hope you love it, too.
Swiss Style Spreadable Cashew Cheese (Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free, Flour Free):
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch*
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt plus more for the boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Start by boiling a small to medium pot of salted water.
- Boil the raw cashews for 10 minutes, and then drain the water.
- Blend boiled cashews, miso paste, water, tapioca starch, salt, nutritional yeast, garlic granules, lemon juice, tahini, dry mustard, onion powder, and ground coriander in your blender until completely smooth. This will work in any blender or food processor, but if you're not using a high speed blender be sure to blend for a few minutes to completely break up the cashew pieces.
- Heat the cheese liquid in a pan on medium heat, stirring constantly. The cheese will be very liquid at this stage, but with some heat and a few minutes of stirring it will turn into the perfect melty cheese.
- Once the cheese becomes totally stretchy and delicious looking, you're finished and ready to serve!
*It's important to use tapioca starch - it's what gives the cheese that stretchy texture we're looking for. Other starches will create something similar, but it won't be nearly as close to the texture of real melted cheese as it would be with tapioca starch.