These are a staple in our house. We love having them as a side with waffles or pancakes, in a breakfast burrito, or on top of a hearty buddha bowl for dinner. Tofu scrambled eggs are an excellent way to get in a large serving of protein and are absolutely delicious.
For a truly epic breakfast, try serving these with my Roasted Crispy Polenta Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary!
Pro tip: Taste the tofu scrambled “eggs” before adding the nutritional yeast. Whether or not you’ll prefer it with the nutritional yeast depends on your flavor preference. Many times, I prefer it without, but I like including it as an option for people who are looking for a “cheesy egg” flavor.
Have you tried this recipe? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!
Tofu Scrambled "Eggs" (Vegan, Gluten Free, Flour Free):
- 1 14 ounce or 397 gram block of extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fine pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
- Press your tofu block between two paper towels to remove as much water as possible. Crumble tofu to about twice the size you want your crumbles to be (they will break up more and become smaller as you stir during the cooking process).
- Heat your pan over medium heat.
- Add oil to your heated pan.
- Add tofu to the pan.
- Add seasoning (except nutritional yeast) to the pan.
- Mix tofu and seasonings together until seasonings are evenly coating the tofu.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes on medium to medium low heat. This is to cook the spices so that you don't end up with any raw spice flavors.
Stir in nutritional yeast, if using.
- Serve warm.