Cornbread has a special place in my heart. I always make it for holidays, and have recently fallen in love with cornbread stuffing as well. For stuffing, it comes together in a flash. I love that this recipe brings all the comfort of homemade food in a lot less time.
Have you tried this recipe? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!
Sweet and Savory Cornbread Stuffing (Vegan, Gluten Free):
- 1/2 cup vegan butter* divided
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 pound cubed vegan and gluten free cornbread** about 6 cups of 1” cubes
- 16 fresh sage leaves cut into ¼” strips
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place your cornbread cubes in a large bowl and set aside.
- Make your two flax eggs by combining 2 Tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 5 Tablespoons of water, stirring, and allowing to rest for 5 minutes. It will be a gel like consistency when it’s ready.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons of vegan butter in a medium sized cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, salt and pepper to taste, and saute until translucent and caramelized. About 7-8 minutes.
- Add the caramelized onions and flax eggs to the bowl of cornbread cubes and stir.
- Melt the remaining butter in the skillet.
- Saute the fresh sage strips in the hot butter until just crispy, about 30 seconds.
- Pour the butter and sage strips over the cornbread and stir to combine.
- Add the unsweetened almond milk to the cornbread mixture and stir.
- Transfer the cornbread stuffing mixture back into the cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the stuffing is completely set and golden brown on the top.
*I used Earth Balance vegan butter sticks. This is my favorite vegan butter replacement and I prefer the sticks for baking and cooking because they have a lower water content than the tub does. The tub has more water in it to make it more spreadable, which makes it not as ideal for baking and sauteing.
**This is normally about 1/2 of a loaf of homemade skillet cornbread.