Sometimes you just want a delicious ball of good food. Normally, falafel fills that need for me. Sometimes I want something a little different, something I could have in a hoagie or on pasta. That’s where these yummy lentil balls come in. These easy vegan gluten free lentil meatballs are incredible. They are super easy, use only 9 ingredients, and they take less than 30 minutes to make. Plus, they go to a whole new level with the Easy Vegan Creamy Toasted Onion Sauce!
Looking for another vegan “meatball”? Try out these easy and delicious Vegan Meatballs made with Mushrooms and Oats!
Lentil Balls / “Meatballs” (Vegan, Gluten Free):
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 medium onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 flax egg
- 1 1/2 cups cooked red lentils
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Herbs de Provence seasoning
- 1 cup dry gluten free bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Heat a medium sized skillet on medium heat.
- Sauté garlic and onion using 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Blend 1 Tablespoon flaxseeds with 2 1/2 Tablespoons water in a food processor and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked and cooled lentils, sautéed onions and garlic, 1 teaspoon olive oil, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning, and Herbs de Provence seasoning to the food processor and pulse until combined but not puréed.
- Using a tablespoon scoop out lentil balls and roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Sauté breaded lentil balls in remaining olive oil for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- These are fragile, so be gentle when forming and breading them.