Sometimes you just want a delicious ball of good food. Normally, falafel fills that need for me. Sometimes I want something a little different, something I could have in a hoagie or on pasta. That’s where these yummy lentil balls come in. These easy vegan gluten free lentil meatballs are incredible. They are super easy, use only 9 ingredients, and they take less than 30 minutes to make. Plus, they go to a whole new level with the easy vegan creamy toasted onion sauce!
Lentil Balls / “Meatballs” (Vegan, Gluten Free):
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 medium onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 flax egg
- 1 1/2 cups cooked red lentils
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Herbs de Provence seasoning
- 1 cup dry gluten free bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Heat a medium sized skillet on medium heat.
- Sauté garlic and onion using 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Blend 1 Tablespoon flaxseeds with 2 1/2 Tablespoons water in a food processor and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked and cooled lentils, sautéed onions and garlic, 1 teaspoon olive oil, nutritional yeast, Italian seasoning, and Herbs de Provence seasoning to the food processor and pulse until combined but not puréed.
- Using a tablespoon scoop out lentil balls and roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Sauté breaded lentil balls in remaining olive oil for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- These are fragile, so be gentle when forming and breading them.