I’ve always loved mashed potatoes, but I’ve never loved standing there peeling potatoes. Thankfully, I love potato skins in my mashed potatoes, and this recipe is truly so easy and so delicious.
Try these mashed potatoes with my Carrot Gravy, it makes the most to die for combination!
1) Don’t be too shy about salting the water you boil the potatoes in. This seasons them from the inside and makes an incredible finished dish.
2) Be sure to very finely mince the garlic (or even use a garlic press if you have one). The garlic will only be cooked using the residual heat from the mashed potatoes, and you want to be sure that you don’t end up with a raw garlic flavor.
Skin-On Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Vegan, Gluten Free, Flour Free):
- 8 medium russet potatoes quartered
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter*
- Fine sea salt to taste
- 2 scallions green parts only, diced, plus more for garnish
- 3 medium cloves garlic very finely minced
- 1/3 cup almond or soy milk unsweetened
Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water by 1”. Salt the water and bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
Using a masher, masher the potatoes to your desired level.
Add in the vegan butter, stir to melt and incorporate.
Add in the salt, scallions, milk, and garlic. Stir to incorporate.
Top with additional scallions and serve immediately.
*I used Earth Balance vegan butter sticks.