This isn’t so much of a recipe, as it is an idea. It’s so simple that I struggle to call it a recipe. It’s the perfect Fall or Winter breakfast to fill you up with delicious whole food on a chilly morning. The toppings are completely interchangeable with your toppings of choice. I commonly add my oil-free granola to this. To speed up the cooking time, you could peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into chunks. I prefer to steam them whole (with only the tips cut off to release the steam), because I want them to steam until they’re really soft and can mash easily. I find that if I steam them peeled and chopped, they get mushy in my steamer basket, which isn’t fun to clean.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl (Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free, Flour Free):
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cleaned with the tips cut off
- 1 stone fruit pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup coconut clusters
- 2 teaspoons raw cacao nibs
- Boil an inch of water in a pot.
- Add your steamer basket.
- Add the sweet potatoes and steam for 20-30 minutes (depending on size – you want them to be very soft)
- Let sweet potatoes cool just enough that you can comfortably handle them.
- Cut a slit in the skin and spoon the interior into a bowl.
- Mash the sweet potatoes and divide between two serving bowls.
- Top with fruit, coconut clusters, and raw cacao nibs.